Wednesday, November 19, 2008

A Proud Moment!

Reflections...If you don't know what that is - it's a visual arts contest that children compete in throughout the state that begins in their school. Canon wanted to enter in one of the 8 categories and without my help - he chose photography.

The theme for the year was "WOW". We thought of all the things that would create the "wow" factor but it wasn't until I was pooper-scoopin' the background that we got our idea. No - not the poop. I noticed a pregnant praying mantis on a bush in our yard and ran to get Canon. I told him that this would be a great entry but he was a little hesitant at first... couldn't see the picture without taking the picture I guess.

I ran to get my most wonderful camera, set it to the right settings and then let him take over. He had to take quite a few to get the right ones but obviously it worked. Out of 92 kids that entered in his category - his entry was chosen to go onto Region. If he wins Region - he moves on to State.

We were not expecting this at all. In fact, I misunderstood what the evening was about. I thought that they were just displaying all of the entries for parents and students to see before going on to be judged. We walk in to see chairs lined up and an awards ceremony about to begin. Thank goodness I had my camera.

They explained the contest and then proceeded to name the winners in each category explaining also that the competition didn't stop there. When they got to photography - I was not expecting to hear Canon's name. If you know me well enough - you will know just what I did when they called his name. Yep - I began to cry. I was so proud and excited for him that I started to cry - not uncontrollably but enough that it was obvious I was thrilled with my little boys' accomplishment. He was so shocked as well. His face went flush and red and he immediately got nervous. He rushed up to get his medal and ribbon and rushed back to my side all while the crowd was clapping for him.

This is the medal and ribbon he received along with a picture of him holding the piece he put together.





They instructed us NOT to take our entry home so I took a few pictures to document the event. I will let you know if he goes on to State but I just thought I would vocalize how proud I am of his little award. It's so fun to be a part of something like this with your own kids. I love it!

Here are the pictures he took. He then mounted the three pictures to a black board so that it all looked nice. I don't have a great picture of that but you can kind of see from the picture above how it was laid out.



5 comments:

Julie Ethington said...

Wow!!! That is so amazing! I always wanted to win something in reflections, but I was never good enough! :) I'm so proud of Canon! I miss you so much! Can we do lunch soon!? I seriously miss you like crazy and reading this story about you crying just makes me miss you even more! I love you, Tam!

April & Josh said...

Those pictures are amazing! Way to go Canon!!

Colin and Ranie said...

Wow! Congratulations to Canon! They were fabulous pictures...professional even! Nice job!

Carole said...

That's so good! Loved the pictures. He's so cute-- with this big grin!! (I always cry when my kids do something great, or get an award-- without fail!!)

Heidi said...

Way to go Canon! How fun. Those pictures really are good... I think he's got his career set for him.