Monday, September 8, 2008

Anyone Want Blaze?

Well - I have to tell you what a horrible mother I was last Friday. My son Blaze has an amazing need to PLAY. If told no - he reacts in very unsettling ways. Here is what happened:

On Friday, my two sons were playing with the neighbor kids (realize that Canon and Blaze do not play well together when other kids are involved). Blaze isn't allowed the "weapon" of his choice because of his brother Canon, who is passing out the desired weaponry. Canon runs home at the first sign of tears so he can get his side of the story in. He explains his side as Blaze walks in crying as if he were critically injured. I turn to hear Blaze's side and realize that these kids need a "Break" from playing. I inform them both that they can't play for at least 20 minutes, until they calm down and until Canon can take care of his brother not the neighbors. This information throws Blaze into a personal tornado. He cannot fathom a day without playing and if I am the one to take it away - I am the most hated.

He immediately changes his crying into screaming that he doesn't care what weapon he has, he just wants to play. Well, me being even more stubborn than him, I stick to my "time out" and try to enforce it. Eventually I am running around couches, through the jack-n-jill bathroom, sneaking the other direction to catch him, chase him out the door and begin yelling in front of the neighbors to "GET BACK HERE - DON'T YOU EVER RUN AWAY FROM ME". Nice huh?

I drag his butt back to the house and into his room, all the while he is throwing punches, kicks, whatever he can get in. Along with the kicking and hitting, I hear the usual "I hate you", "you are the meanest mom" and here is the best "I WANT A DIFFERENT MOM". Here is me at my very best (or worst I guess):

I decide to call him on it. "Fine" I said. "Help me pack your bags, and you can live somewhere else with some other mom". I ask him to pick his favorite shirts because he can't have them all while I pull out the suitcase. Canon watches with terror from the doorway, eyes beginning the well with tears. Blaze realizes I am serious and strongly disagrees to leave. I continue to tell him that I will not let him live with me if he doesn't love me anymore and if he wants a new mom. All the while I am still packing his clothes, asking him nicely which shorts, hats, underwear he likes best. I mean, shouldn't he have the best? He continues to plead with me not to make him leave, Canon is now crying uncontrollably because he realizes I am not joking, and I finally decide that we should leave this decision up to his dad.

I allowed Blaze to call his dad, in hopes to calm him down. He just kept repeating while breathless, "I can stay?, I can stay? but can I stay?"....... I started to internally laugh knowing that what I was doing wasn't very nice but my point was to stop this from happening again. Needless to say - we unpacked the suitcase and my son loves me again. We had a great evening and he is back to being so precious, I could never lose him.

Sorry so long, you should see me tell the story with all my animation......By the way - no one can have him!! I was kidding!

3 comments:

Colin and Ranie said...

Dangit! I was going to call first dibs! :)
Funny story. Glad he loves you again.

Jaime said...

I'll take Blaze and you can have Charley!!!!!!!

Payton Armijo said...

I love it. Boy have I had those days. They can be such little stinkers sometimes. They are such cute boys!!