Tuesday, December 2, 2008

My Poor, Poor Baby....

And my poor, poor parents. So - Sunday night was not a good night for my little Pierson. He didn't sleep well and didn't want to lie down or allow us to sit or lie down either. All night - Darren and I took turns holding him while he uncomfortably tried to sleep. I thought it was just gas...it turns out it was much more than that. He woke up a little bit better so I figured it was a bug that came and went. Unfortunately for my parents - it wasn't a bug.

I dropped him off and went to work, calling frequently to check in. Each time I called I could hear him crying in the background, sounding extremely uncomfortable. When my mom called to say that he was inconsolable - I dropped everything and ran to take him to the emergency room.

Darren and I felt he must have a blockage or an obstruction because my sweet, always happy baby was crying like we had never heard before. I couldn't get him to stop and it took two hours of crying and morphine to finally calm him down. Let me just say that today - he has no voice.

They put 2 bags of IV through him, morphine, tylenol, ibuprofen, took his blood 4 times, used a catheter to get a urine sample and took an x-ray. Lucky they didn't find anything serious in the x-ray. What they did find is that he has a virus so bad that it caused tons of ulcers to form in his mouth and throat making it difficult and painful to eat, swallow, cough, anything. It even hurt him to poop. He was dehydrated, has pharyngitis and a fever of 102. They got his temperature to go down but we had to keep the IV in his arm and he had another LARGE dose of fluids put through him today. In the end - he was blown up like a sumo wrestler baby. He was unrecognizable to me but the picture doesn't do it justice. Poor baby. He is sounding sleeping right now - thank goodness but I know it won't last long.

Just thought I would let you all know that we have been functioning on NO sleep, NO food and tons of soda. Thanks for your prayers! Here are a couple of pictures to document this lovely occasion.

We just got him settled after getting his blood drawn...





Just got the morphine...


Liking the morphine...


Trying to rip the cast off...


The next morning coming back for more of the same....notice the new red cast...


Sumo baby after way too much IV....he can't even open his eyes!

3 comments:

Ali said...

Oh Tami,

What a nightmare. I hope his ulcers go away soon and that you're all able to get the rest you need. Poor Pierson. He's in our prayers. I'm glad it wasn't anything worse... but still. He must have been so miserable.

Cassie said...

Oh my - he looks so different! But hopefully feeling better. Your heart must ache for the little guy. Thank goodness for good medical care. I hope he's better now!

Jay and Bec said...

WHAT!!? I thought it was just a really sore throat! I need to call you more often. I wish you would have called me! I could have helped with the boys!! Poor little babe. I hope he's feeling okay now. Let me know.